Sunday, March 29, 2009

Crazy Times

*Sigh* This is my last day off after having a week off work between jobs. Last Monday I put in my two weeks notice in order to pursue a higher paying job with another company. Because my new job is with a competing company I was told to get my things and immediately leave the premises. So I said goodbye to everyone and took off. If I had been paying attention as I walked to my car I would have noticed the Eastern Canada Director sitting in the parking lot. Evidently a few minutes after I left he came in, called a meeting, and told them that the lab was shutting down! So everyone got laid off :( I'm really shocked that it came to that, but I guess I really shouldn't be. All the signs were there. Five people quit in the last 6 months and not a single one of them got replaced. It was getting to the point where I was doing the jobs of four people! I feel really guilty (survivor's guilt I guess) but man did I ever dodge a bullet! And in lieu of notice I got paid out for two weeks. So this week I've had off has been paid, and next week I will be getting paid for my new job AND my old job! I'm really excited to start my new job. I'm going to be a project manager which is a client services role. I'm going to be getting paid more and probably doing less work. I also get to sit at a desk and dress up every day :) I'm even allowed to wear heels, skirts, open toed shoes and everything since I don't have to actually go into the lab! And what's really cool is some people I used to work with already work there!

So I've been pretty social with my week off. Last night I went dancing at Tribeca with Lindsay, Lea, Ian and his friend Adam. It was Brit-pop night which is totally fun. I wish I knew what more of the songs were so I could download them... anyway, not the point of this story. By the time 1:30am rolled around it was just Lindsay and I, and as per usual we were busy attracting the bottom 1% of the men at the club. There was this one dude who was especially annoying. He managed to start dancing "with" Lindsay (or near her, with her having none of it) and then put his hands on her shoulders and started swaying her back and forth. She swatted his hands away and he said something like, "if you don't want dick get outta here". WTF?! I have nothing against dick, but this dick in particular didn't seem to realize that he was short, stout, and had a gross beard. Also, VERY poor social skills. Why are men so fucking stupid? Stupid doesn't even cover it, they also seem to have this sense of entitlement that women don't have as much. Just because you don't find some totally creepy asshole to be the hottest thing in the world automatically means you're some sort of man-hater. I really hate how women are expected to just jump all over whatever guy comes along and shows interest. I was under the impression that we weren't living in the 50s anymore and that we could expect a little more than to be just some dude's arm candy.

Well, enough ranting for one day, better be hitting the ol' dusty trail. I've gotta go be totally lame and plan out outfits for the week :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope Day One of the new job went well!

I laughed out loud at your recounting of our Saturday night. Bottom-1%-attracters unite!!!